Many people enjoy kayak fishing. It is a fun and interesting sport for everybody. You can go in for it without much investment and this is why it is suitable for students. Since the kayak generally has no motor, the chances of catching fish is higher over motor boats. The boat has less storage space and this poses challenges to the fisher. However, with simple and practical tips by experts, you will face no hassles at all!
Understanding the basics of kayak fishing
Anouk Govil is from Ventura in California. She attends the California State University and is 19 years old. She is a student of biology and during the weekends she sings at open mic nights. She is fond of surfing, kayaking and fishing. She says that if you are a student like her, you effectively are able to learn the tips and tricks of kayak fishing without any hassles at all. The following are some of her practical tips that will help you become a very good kayak fishing-
- Buying a kayak that is bright in color- She says if you choose a kayak that is bright in color, it becomes more visible. This will improve your safety. Dark colors like blue are not visible and hard to spot. This will lead to an accident. She states that if you buy or even hire a kayak, it is wise for you to opt for the colors of green, yellow and orange.
- Be safe with a life-jacket-In a kayak, you will find roll overs at time and it is prudent for you to wear a life-jacket. Accidents happen to the very best swimmers and so it is important for you to wear a life-jacket to be safe.
- Practice makes it perfect-In order to venture into kayak fishing, it is important for you to learn it from a professional and have some experience before you start. You need to be effective in balancing and paddling. When you are practicing, it is important for you to take your kayak out a couple of times so that you get used to the basics before you buy the fishing accessories.
- Set some time aside for fishing- Kayak fishing does not mean that you go out and catch fish in one hour. You should remember that fishing demands time and patience. You should plan some hours on the water if you expect to catch fish and return.
- Invest in a good paddle- when you are going kayak fishing, it is important for you to always invest in a very good paddle. If you are out to save money and buy a cheap paddle, you will regret your decision once you hit the waters. The paddles that are expensive are light and strong.
Last but not the least, Anouk Govil says that you should wear the right dress when you are kayak fishing. You should dress to swim and ensure you have your life jacket so that you do not face any accidents or mishaps.